Friday, June 27, 2008

Knittin' and Coughin'

I had purchase four skeins of Lion Brand Moonlight Mohair a while ago because they were half price. Is it that I lack will power or that I have an eye for a good deal? Maybe some of both.

As I was admiring my stash, I decided to knit an evening wrap for a long time friend with it. The skeins are only 82 yards, so I picked up a couple more at JoAnn's. It's multi colored and textured, so I figured that any variance in dye lots would be trivial. I decided that the yarn was fancy enough that the knitting didn't need to be, so I settled on a simple lace stitch. Don't know if it has a formal name or not, I just grabbed the size 17 needles so it would be loose and airy and started knitting without a net.

Cast on 49 stitches loosely, knit four rows then start pattern.
Row 1: k3, *yo, k2t, k2*, k2
Row 2: k2, *p*, k2
Row 3: k2, *k2, yo, k2t*, k3
Row 4: k2, *p*, k2
Until you reach the desired length.
Knit four rows, cast off loosely.



This wrap is going to be a huge honker. With three skeins
knit, it was 28 inches wide and 44 inches long.

It knits up fast, a skein a day is not a stretch -- if I can keep it up.

I don't know if it's those little hairs of Mo or some other component of the yarn, but every time I pick it up to knit, I start coughing. Knit, knit, knit, cough, cough, cough, knit, knit, knit, cough, cough, cough.

I'm too darn cheap not to finish the wrap, but I have another skein of the stuff in purple that I was planning to use as a highlight band in a möbius scarf. I think I may change my mind on that one.

No comments: